Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Spiritual Leaders

A beloved pastor, Fr. Harry, celebrated his fifty-four years as a priest and  I was a part of this kind shepherd's flock some 30+ years ago.  As I sat in the pew of the small one hundred two year old chapel, I thought about the ministers and priest I have known throughout my life, wondering what it was that sent me more than one hundred miles on a Sunday afternoon to see this man I had not seen in fifteen years, not had as my pastor for thirty.

I have had many pastors throughout my fifty-eight years, both Methodist and Roman Catholic, but few were spiritual leaders to me. Most seemed wonderfully led by the Bible, while only a few blessed ones were on a level where I truly believed they were led by God, inspired through their prayer--even in the things they said when I privately sought their counsel.  While most have preached inspired sermons or been very kind, these few have shaped my understanding of faith and how I see God because I knew they had heard Him many, many times. I could see it clearly in their eyes.

My current Methodist pastor is one, this one, another. As I sat in that hard pew celebrating the mass with Fr. Harry and as I listened to him I knew the answer.  Love. The love that is God filled that man--I could see it in his eyes at eighty as clear as I did when he was only forty-eight and I was not yet thirty.   His inspiration came from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

The way I see it,  whether Methodist pastors, Catholic priests,  nuns, or  friends, others have led my spirit through their conversations with God. I can see the light of God in their eyes.  Such a pleasure, love.   Such a gift.

Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment